Advice sought on Portmaster -Faf and deleted ports

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 15 11:51:52 UTC 2013

On 14 Oct 2013 23:35:39 -0000
Scott Ballantyne wrote:

> Actually, the last time I updated my ports was when I installed 9.0,
> and I used the portmaster 'nuke all ports' method I was trying to
> day. Since then, several dozen ports of been 'deleted' or 'renamed',
> not just the linux_base-fc4

I do something similar, but often I go through the port list and
delete any ports that I no longer need and anything I don't
remember installing directly. This allows the reinstall to find
up-to-date dependency origins. If any of the remaining ports are missing
you'll have to choose different ports or do without.

In your case I suggest that you also check make.conf for anything like
PERL_VERSION etc that might be forcing older dependencies. I'd also
take the opportunity to go to pkgng either by upgrading to 10-stable
or setting WITH_PKGNG=YES in make.conf. If you update to 10 while all
the ports are deinstalled it will avoid your having reinstall them
again later.