mpt problem on a Supermicro motherboard (FreeBSD 9.2 amd64)

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Fri Oct 11 03:30:15 UTC 2013

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> I have several Supermicro-based servers with the mpt RAID adapter:
>
> # mptutil show adapter
> mpt0 Adapter:
>        Board Name: UNUSED
>    Board Assembly:
>         Chip Name: C1068E
>     Chip Revision: UNUSED
>       RAID Levels: none
> #
>
> The problem is, I cannot configure any RAIDs (please see output
> below) from FreeBSD. If I configure volumes from BIOS setup, FreeBSD
> still sees them as separate physical discs.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> I cannot use gmirror with these servers because a) if no MPT RAID is
> configured in BIOS setup, it cannot boot from HDD and b) if an MPT
> RAID *is* configured in BIOS setup, it occupies the last sector and
> prevents GEOM from working with these drives.
>
> Any help please? (or redirect me to a more appropriate maillist).

After many unsuccessful trials and googling, we had to reconfigure the
adapter from RAID mode to IT mode. It required flashing the adapter's
BIOS from a Supermicro-supplied image and changing a jumper setting on
the motherboard.

Now as the adapter is in IT mode, it is a plain HBA the BIOS can
boot from, and I have set up a gmirror on the SAS disks.

After flashing the adapter BIOS, don't forget to enter its setup
(Ctrl-C) and enable hotplugging of disks (called "Removable Media
Support" in the menu, off by default).

People come across similar problems and solutions on other OSes, like

Victor Sudakov
Tomsk, Russia
Russian Barefoot FAQ at http://www.barefooters.ru/barefoot.txt