mpt problem on a Supermicro motherboard (FreeBSD 9.2 amd64)

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Oct 8 09:15:25 UTC 2013

Colleagues,

I have several Supermicro-based servers with the mpt RAID adapter:

# mptutil show adapter
mpt0 Adapter:
       Board Name: UNUSED
   Board Assembly:
        Chip Name: C1068E
    Chip Revision: UNUSED
      RAID Levels: none
#

The problem is, I cannot configure any RAIDs (please see output
below) from FreeBSD. If I configure volumes from BIOS setup, FreeBSD
still sees them as separate physical discs.  What am I doing wrong?

I cannot use gmirror with these servers because a) if no MPT RAID is
configured in BIOS setup, it cannot boot from HDD and b) if an MPT
RAID *is* configured in BIOS setup, it occupies the last sector and
prevents GEOM from working with these drives.

Any help please? (or redirect me to a more appropriate maillist).

# mptutil clear
Are you sure you wish to clear the configuration on mpt0? [y/N] y
mpt0: Configuration cleared
# mptutil show volumes
mpt0 Volumes:
  Id     Size    Level   Stripe State Write-Cache  Name
# mptutil show drives
mpt0 Physical Drives:
 da0 (  558G) ONLINE <HITACHI HUS156060VLS600 A760> SCSI-6 bus 0 id 0
 da1 (  558G) ONLINE <HITACHI HUS156060VLS600 A760> SCSI-6 bus 0 id 1
 da2 (  558G) ONLINE <HITACHI HUS156060VLS600 A760> SCSI-6 bus 0 id 2
 da3 (  558G) ONLINE <HITACHI HUS156060VLS600 A760> SCSI-6 bus 0 id 3
#

# mptutil create raid1 -v da2,da3
mptutil: Reading config page header failed: Invalid configuration page
Added drive da2 with PhysDiskNum 0

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru