9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

cary cary at sdf.org
Tue Oct 8 22:35:50 UTC 2013

Doug Hardie wrote:
>>> The Thick Plottens…
>>> I received the drives and installed them on a working system.  The
>>> failed system is structured with a single partition for the system and
>>> another for swap.  For some unknown reason, the BIOS got left
>>> configured to boot the extra disk if its powered up.  That turns out
>>> to be handy.  I can boot a working system with the corrupt drive
>>> powered off.
>>> Booting from the corrupt drive yields the normal hardware info
>>> followed by the Beastie image and immediately by a multitude of lines
>>> (repeated many times):
>>> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
>>> BIOS drive C: is disk0
>>> BIOS drive D: is disk1
>>> BIOS 639kB/1037824kB available memory
>>> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>>> (doug at zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
>>> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>>> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>>> I was able to capture these by using a serial console connected to
>>> another computer.  The lines only appear on the serial console once.
>>> They scroll by on the real console many time - all too fast to read
>>> anything.  Then after a few seconds of that, the screen goes black,
>>> and the system reboots.  The cycle then repeats…  Pressing any key
>>> does nothing.  I even filled the keyboard buffer with spaces hoping to
>>> stop boot, but nothing seems to stop it.
>>> I checked and the freebsd-update.conf include world sys and src.  I
>>> rebuild everything after removing /obj just for grins and giggles.  I
>>> have installed the kernel and world using DESTDIR to put it on the
>>> corrupt drive.  Same messages again.
>>> I now have the corrupt drive mounted on /mnt and am trying to update
>>> the src again.  Using:
>>> freebsd-update -b /mnt fetch
>>> 	updated files list show /usr/src/sys…
>>> 	and updating to 9.1-RELEASE-p7
>>> freebsd-update -b /mnt install
>>> 	This is running slower than molasses in January.  Its run for almost
>>> 30 minutes and only 3 files have been updated.  There must be network
>>> issues between me and the server.  I'll let it run tonight but I am
>>> going to crash now.  Long day.  More tomorrow.
>>> -- Doug
>>
>> Have you checked the dmesg output, specifically to see if there are any disk errors, perhaps the hard drive is about dead.  If you are planning to rebuild world and kernel form source, why not just use svn or extract the source from the 9.2-RELEASE disk onto the system.
>
> There are no hardware errors logged.  The drive is only a couple months old.  Smart drive status is good.
>
> I tried downloading the src with:
>
> svn co https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/9.2 /mnt/usr/src
>
> I didn't get Release 9.2. The first entry in UPDATING is:
>
> 20130705:
>         hastctl(8)'s `status' command output changed to terse one-liner format.
>         Scripts using this should switch to `list' command or be rewritten.

> [...]
Hello Doug,

Here is a more recent version of the file on svn:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/UPDATING?revision=255900&view=markup

Earlier today I also checked out base for releng/9.2 from the same
mirror, svn0.us-west.  My UPDATING file is outdated too.  Time of the
last entry is 20130705.

The mirror told me that I had checked out revision 256150.

When running "freebsd-update upgrade -r RELEASE-9.2" last
night it gave :

WARNING: This system is running a "customcl" kernel, which is not a
kernel configuration distributed as part of FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE.
This kernel will not be updated: you MUST update the kernel manually
before running "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".

That might have been expected, but I have read on this list that
freebsd-update will sometimes automatically replace a custom kernel with
a generic, and in /etc/freebsd-update.conf I had the line:

Components src world kernel  .

HTH,

Cary
cary at sdf.org