9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Tue Oct 8 18:22:19 UTC 2013

On 8 October 2013, at 06:22, dweimer <dweimer at dweimer.net> wrote:

> On 10/08/2013 4:27 am, Doug Hardie wrote:
>>> Not even inserting a USB stick (with the FreeBSD memstick data)
>>> or a CD?
>>> Maybe that is the result of many years of "administration" on
>>> "Windows" PCs. :-)
>>> Uh... "knowing better" would disqualify them as maintainers of
>>> a server installation. The inability to learn (or even to read
>>> and follow instructions) is a dangerous thing.
>>> Okay, that's also a possible alternative. To be honest, that's
>>> the first time I hear about this procedure. But doable.
>>> I assume that this could be possible by inconsistently updated
>>> sources. It would be a good start to remove /usr/src and download
>>> the sources of the correct version via SVN _or_ freebsd-update
>>> again. Before the next installation attempt, /usr/obj should be
>>> removed as well, just to be sure.
>>> A serial console should also work, but even though I've been
>>> using serial consoles (and _real_ serial terminals), one thing
>>> I'm not sure about: Is it possible to interrupt (!) the boot
>>> process at an early stage to get to the loader prompt and
>>> boot into single user mode from there?
>>> 	Ok
>>> 	boot -s
>>> If not, do you have the "beastie menu" (or whatever it is called
>>> today) enabled to go to SUM to perform the "make installworld" step?
>>> Anyway, if you can install everything is required with the disk
>>> at home, and then send it back to that "datacenter" (according
>>> to your characterization, the quotes are deserved), that should
>>> solve the problems and make sure everything works as intended.
>> The Thick Plottens…
>> I received the drives and installed them on a working system.  The
>> failed system is structured with a single partition for the system and
>> another for swap.  For some unknown reason, the BIOS got left
>> configured to boot the extra disk if its powered up.  That turns out
>> to be handy.  I can boot a working system with the corrupt drive
>> powered off.
>> Booting from the corrupt drive yields the normal hardware info
>> followed by the Beastie image and immediately by a multitude of lines
>> (repeated many times):
>> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
>> BIOS drive C: is disk0
>> BIOS drive D: is disk1
>> BIOS 639kB/1037824kB available memory
>> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>> (doug at zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
>> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>> I was able to capture these by using a serial console connected to
>> another computer.  The lines only appear on the serial console once.
>> They scroll by on the real console many time - all too fast to read
>> anything.  Then after a few seconds of that, the screen goes black,
>> and the system reboots.  The cycle then repeats…  Pressing any key
> [...]

There are no hardware errors logged.  The drive is only a couple months old.  Smart drive status is good.

I tried downloading the src with:

svn co https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/9.2 /mnt/usr/src

I didn't get Release 9.2. The first entry in UPDATING is:

20130705:
        hastctl(8)'s `status' command output changed to terse one-liner format.
        Scripts using this should switch to `list' command or be rewritten.

There is an entry earlier for Release 9.1. but no entry for Release 9.2.