mtree: line 21: unknown user auditdistd

alexus alexus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 15:32:13 UTC 2013

I've tried upgrading my FreeBSD 9.1 to 9.2 via freebsd-update and I guess I
did something wrong and now I'm trying to run mergemaster and I'm unable to
do so, although I do remember merging passwd file w/ new user auditdistd

how can I re-run mergemaster?

f9# mergemaster

*** The directory specified for the temporary root environment,
    /var/tmp/temproot, exists.  This can be a security risk if untrusted
    users have access to the system.

  Use 'd' to delete the old /var/tmp/temproot and continue
  Use 't' to select a new temporary root directory
  Use 'e' to exit mergemaster

  Default is to use /var/tmp/temproot as is

How should I deal with this? [Use the existing /var/tmp/temproot]

   *** Leaving /var/tmp/temproot intact

*** Creating the temporary root environment in /var/tmp/temproot
 *** /var/tmp/temproot ready for use
 *** Creating and populating directory structure in /var/tmp/temproot

mtree: line 21: unknown user auditdistd

  *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot 'cd' to /usr/src and install files to
      the temproot environment

f9#