math "formulae" using libreoffice

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Nov 20 01:43:04 UTC 2013

Of_Interest: With 27 years  of service  to the  Unix  community.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 01:43:03AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 16:08:51 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Anybody know how I would create the symbols (using "S" and "lim")
> > 	to convey:
> >
> > 	int from {X} to {Y}
> > 	lim as X approaches infinity
> >
> > 	??
> >
> > 	note that the "S" is the integral symbol.  I dont know what text
> > 	to write for the "limit" part.
>
> Even though it would probably be much easier to do that kind
> of typesetting in LaTeX (because word processors have shown
> that they are a terrible tool for scientific writing, or for
> writing in general) and then export the result as EPS (or
> make a screenshot and export that to PNG and include it as
> an image), here's what I've tried:
>
> Menu: Insert -> Object -> Formula (starts the formula editor)
> Select the "Sigma a" category (operators)
> Select S x (integral x)
> Select Sigma a=... b=... (lower and upper boundary)
> Enter "x" and "y" accordingly
> After the integral, enter the word "lim"
> Select Sigma a=... (lower boundary)
> Enter "x"
> Select the "a speechbubble" category (others)
> Select the right-pointing arrow
> Select the infinity symbol (first one in this category)
>
> Note that the menu entries are translated. I'm using the german
> version of OpenOffice here, so the english captions might be
> a bit different.
>
> The formula which is the result of this terribly complicated
> process is:
>
> int from{x} to{y} lim from{x rightarrow infinity} <?>
>
> The <?> will be replaced by whatever follows.
>
> Maybe you could simply copy'n'paste this formula into the formula
> editor's lower window ("programming window") and start further
> editing from that, I think that's much easier than the clicking
> orgy described above.
>
> You should get something like this:

> 	 /
> 	 |   lim
> 	/   x -> oo
>
> There's an alternative, much worse: Use Insert -> Special character
> and create the required text by "microformatting". It's dirty and
> will take much longer, and any change is complicated.
>
> Maybe this page can be helpful:
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Math_Guide/Entering_a_formula
>
> As I said, LaTeX's $\int_x^y \lim_{x \to \infty}$ is easier. :-)
>
> Helpful page:
>
> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/Calculus.html

	OMG: I'l hv to read this tmrrrw, polyt.  but thanks a few
	zillion.  between you/me, I was an A student in all but "lineral
	algebra"::::: there w as no fuc*king way I was going to do that
	much typing, platen-turning, resetting, ETC for [onee]
	cr  ummy course!

	billjoy hacked lotsa stuf in teX< but IIRC , it was text, no msth.
	thats been a Lot of years ago, :_)

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

             Twenty-seven years of service to the Unix community.
                            http://www.thought.org/HOPE