bug in dhclient / dhclient.conf / dhcp-options parser?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Nov 19 18:51:55 UTC 2013

CeDeROM <cederom at tlen.pl> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> See the manual ("man 5 dhcp-options").
>>
>>                                                          Options which are not
>>      listed by name may be defined by the name option-nnn, where nnn is the
>>      decimal number of the option code.
>>
>> You can only specify options by number if the dhcp client doesn't know
>> the syntax/semantics for that particular option.
>
> Hello Gilbert :-) I know that document already :-) There is neither

Gilbert is actually my surname. All three of my names are reasonably
common as both first *and* last names -- so I don't use my middle name,
to avoid unnecessary confusion.

> "vendor-class-identifier" nor "user-class" options in the basic
> FreeBSD DHCP Client, so I want to use option-060 and option-077 but
> none of those work (I also tired option-60 and option-77 with no
> result), while other values work (i.e. option-088 or option-123), this
> is the problem :-)
>
> These options work in isc-42-dhcp-client, so there seems to be
> something wrong with native DHCP Client...

In the sources for my RELENG_9 system, those are "dhcp-class-identifier"
and "user-class", respectively. These appear to be the names used in the
port as well. dhcp-class-identifier works, but user-class does not. The
problem appears to be that it is missing from the array
dhcp_option_default_priority_list in tables.c. The user class option
hasn't been deprecated or otherwise have a good reason that I can see
for being left out, so I think it's just a bug and the option should be
added back in. There are 3 or four other options that are missing from
that list; I wonder what they are.

Good luck.