Problem with wireless router inaccessibility

Will Parsons varro at nodomain.invalid
Sun Nov 10 23:10:13 UTC 2013

Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I have a problem where I can no longer log in to my Netgear wireless router from computer in living room, and computer in bedroom, connected to the same router with a 25 ft Ethernet cable, can't connect from any OS where it previously was successful (NetBSD-current amd64 and Linux on System Rescue CD).
>
> I can still access the Internet and browse from FreeBSD on living-room computer, but can't log in to the router.
>
> I'm afraid to reboot for fear that I could never regain Internet access.
>
> It's possible that rebooting could resolve the problem, but there is the risk of not being able to get back in.
>
> I don't know if the wireless router is going bad, or if its IP
> address (192.168.1.1) has changed.

Are you sure it's 192.168.1.1?  I have a Netgear router, and the
manual falsely claims that that address is the default IP address, but
I'm pretty sure that the real default was 10.0.0.1 (can't be sure for
certain, since I've since changed it).

This may be not relevant to your situation, but I recently had a
problem in that I disabled the option on the router to serve as a DHCP
server (for reasons that I will not go into), and found that I could
no longer reach the router, even via Ethernet.  (Solution was to set a
static IP address and default route in /etc/rc.conf.)

--
Will