Problem with wireless router inaccessibility

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Nov 10 16:49:21 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> I have a problem where I can no longer log in to my Netgear wireless
> router from computer in living room, and computer in bedroom,
> connected to the same router with a 25 ft Ethernet cable, can't
> connect from any OS where it previously was successful (NetBSD-current
> amd64 and Linux on System Rescue CD).
>
> I can still access the Internet and browse from FreeBSD on living-room computer, but can't log in to the router.
>
> I'm afraid to reboot for fear that I could never regain Internet access.

At worst, replacing the router should fix it.

> It's possible that rebooting could resolve the problem, but there is the risk of not being able to get back in.
>
> I don't know if the wireless router is going bad, or if its IP address (192.168.1.1) has changed.

It can't be that, because one computer can still use it as a gateway to
get to the net.

> I could order a new router online while I still have Internet access.
>
> Now I'm trying to decide whether the router is going bad or if FreeBSD stumbled on itself.

Run ifconfig on the working computer to see the IP address it was
assigned by DHCP, and compare that to the not-working systems.

Consumer-grade routers frequently have poor firmware and need relatively
frequent resets.  Some also have poor power supplies that are prone to
failure.  Replacing the firmware with DD-WRT or Tomato makes for a much
more reliable unit.  Power supply testing can be done by swapping with
another unit.

My experience with the Netgear consumer wireless routers has not been
great.  If you can find one, the good old WRT54G is still an excellent
unit.  These are often available at thrift stores and yard sales.