Problem with wireless router inaccessibility

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 10 08:14:49 UTC 2013

I have a problem where I can no longer log in to my Netgear wireless router from computer in living room, and computer in bedroom, connected to the same router with a 25 ft Ethernet cable, can't connect from any OS where it previously was successful (NetBSD-current amd64 and Linux on System Rescue CD).

I can still access the Internet and browse from FreeBSD on living-room computer, but can't log in to the router.

I'm afraid to reboot for fear that I could never regain Internet access.

It's possible that rebooting could resolve the problem, but there is the risk of not being able to get back in.

I don't know if the wireless router is going bad, or if its IP address (192.168.1.1) has changed.

I could order a new router online while I still have Internet access.

Now I'm trying to decide whether the router is going bad or if FreeBSD stumbled on itself.

Tom