ERROR - Cannot get GEOM tree

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Nov 4 18:26:17 UTC 2013

I've been happily running FBSD on a HP e60 Netserver for the past 13
years.  It's been so reliable, I've tended to just forget about it.
However after a power outage, it will no longer boot.

I've done some testing and got it booted with a 9.2 LiveCD.  I think the
version of FBSD on this box is 6.4.  It has two 9 GB SCSI drives that I
had striped using gstripe.  I think one of those drives has died but
would like to confirm before giving up.

I've tried rewriting the MBR to both disks using "fdisk -B -b
/boot/boot0 daX" but get this error:

Cannot get GEOM tree: Illegal byte sequence

I've also tried "gstripe list" but get the same error.

My stripe is "/dev/stripe/data" so I tried mounting it with "mount
/dev/stripe/data /mnt/data".  I get this error:

mount: /dev/stripe/data: R/W mount of /usr denied. Filesystem is not
clean - run fsck.: Operation not permitted

So I tried to run "fsck /dev/stripe/data".  Another error:

fsck: Could not determine filesystem type

I suspect one or both members of my stripe are dead.  Can anyone
confirm?  Is there anything else I can check before giving up?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Like card tricks?