Hot Swapping SATA drive?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat May 18 20:03:42 UTC 2013

In message <519794E9.6080500 at sneakertech.com>,
Quartz <quartz at sneakertech.com> wrote:

>> 3)  Assuming that I want to do this stuff, what BIOS options should I
>> be setting or unsetting on the motherboard?
>
>You need the sata ports running in straight up pure ahci mode (as
>opposed to "IDE mode" or "compatible" or something that emulates old
>style parallel-ata).

OK.  Thanks Quartz,.  I'll make it a point to check for that.

>Be aware that Windows up through XP doesn't support ...

No worries.  The system in question is only running FreeBSD.  Someday
soon it may be running debian, but *never* will it be running windoze.

>You'll also almost certainly want to disable any motherboard-based raid
>options too, as they tend to be complete crap.

OK.  I never use RAID in any form anyway, so it probably is already
disabled, but I'll make a point to double check.

Thanks!