pkgng / poudriere oddity

Andrei Brezan andrei693 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 15:14:27 UTC 2013

On 03/31/13 16:07, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
> On 03/31/2013 08:58 AM, Andrei Brezan wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> It seems I'm experiencing some issues while trying to install packages
>> that have dependencies that have other dependencies as well, or at least
>> that's how I understand it.
>>
>>   # uname -a
>> FreeBSD host.example.com 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue
>> Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012
>> root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>
>> # pkg install mtr-nox11
>> Updating repository catalogue
>> Repository catalogue is up-to-date, no need to fetch fresh copy
>> The following packages will be installed:
>>
>>      Installing gettext: 0.18.1.1_1
>>      Installing pcre: 8.32
>>      Installing libiconv: 1.14_1
>>      Installing glib: 2.34.3
>>      Installing libffi: 3.0.13
>>      Installing perl: 5.14.2_3
>>      Installing python27: 2.7.3_6
>>      Installing mtr-nox11: 0.84
>>
>> The installation will require 149 MB more space
>>
>> 0 B to be downloaded
>>
>> Proceed with installing packages [y/N]: y
>> Checking integrity... done
>> Installing gettext-0.18.1.1_1...missing dependency libiconv-1.14_1
>>
>> # pkg rquery "%n-%v" libiconv
>> libiconv-1.14_1
>>
>> Is there an obvious reason why gettext dependencies are not pulled in
>> and installed?
>> If I do "pkg install gettext" all goes well and libiconv in installed as
>> dependency.
>>
>> I've already did a "poudriere bulk -j jail_name -p ports_tree -c -f
>> pkg_list.txt" for the pkg repo to no avail.
>>
>> To mention that on the host using pkgng I did several pkg delete -f for
>> all packages installed except pkg.
> Try turning PARALLEL_JOBS to 1 in poudriere.conf and then rebuilding all
> the packages.
>
> This sounds very similar to a behaviour I was witnessing with non-pkgng
> repos constructed by Poudriere, whereby the INDEX was ending up
> incomplete, and so the dependencies were never installed by pkg_add -r.
> I would imagine a similar race condition could be affecting pkgng as
> well. I just haven't had time to troubleshoot it very far, and the above
> seemed to alleviate the issue.

# By default MAKE_JOBS is disabled to allow only one process per cpu
# Use the following to allow it anyway
ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS=yes

This one enabled was the reason behind it, disabling it and rebuilding
the whole repo fixed it. I've left PARALLEL_JOBS to default, # of core's.

Thanks for the pointer,
Andrei