pkgng / poudriere oddity

Andrei Brezan andrei693 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 13:58:08 UTC 2013

Hello list,

It seems I'm experiencing some issues while trying to install packages
that have dependencies that have other dependencies as well, or at least
that's how I understand it.

  # uname -a
FreeBSD host.example.com 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue
Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012
root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# pkg install mtr-nox11
Updating repository catalogue
Repository catalogue is up-to-date, no need to fetch fresh copy
The following packages will be installed:

     Installing gettext: 0.18.1.1_1
     Installing pcre: 8.32
     Installing libiconv: 1.14_1
     Installing glib: 2.34.3
     Installing libffi: 3.0.13
     Installing perl: 5.14.2_3
     Installing python27: 2.7.3_6
     Installing mtr-nox11: 0.84

The installation will require 149 MB more space

0 B to be downloaded

Proceed with installing packages [y/N]: y
Checking integrity... done
Installing gettext-0.18.1.1_1...missing dependency libiconv-1.14_1

# pkg rquery "%n-%v" libiconv
libiconv-1.14_1

Is there an obvious reason why gettext dependencies are not pulled in
and installed?
If I do "pkg install gettext" all goes well and libiconv in installed as
dependency.

I've already did a "poudriere bulk -j jail_name -p ports_tree -c -f
pkg_list.txt" for the pkg repo to no avail.

To mention that on the host using pkgng I did several pkg delete -f for
all packages installed except pkg.

Thank you,

Andrei Brezan