C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Mar 29 12:48:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Jeff Belyea <jbelyea5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new computer with windows 8, which I hate with a passion. I don't
> play music and I don't do a lot of pictures. Basically I only search, some
> EBay and games. Can I replace win8 with BSD?

Of course you can. I suggest that you

0. make a full backup of your win8 drive... just in case you want to
go back.

You may also want to extract the win8 product key and write it down:

*
http://superuser.com/questions/495794/how-can-i-find-the-product-key-that-was-used-to-activate-windows-8
*
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/30363-Windows-8-Product-Key-Viewer

1. fetch a memstick image e.g. from here:

ftp://ftp2.us.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/9.1/FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img

and write it with your favorite application on a USB flash drive.

2. switch your computer firmware from UEFI to CSM (compatibility
support module), a.k.a. old BIOS mode, so you can boot external media.

3. boot from the USB flash drive, and experiment with FreeBSD.

4. install to disk (eventually after resizing and repartitioning the win8
part if you want to keep that).

Good luck!

-cpghost.

--