Client Authentication

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 08:10:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:

> Basically, my outgoing mail server is being systematically attacked to try
> passwords looking for one that works.  When they do find one, we get
> inundated by spam sent through that account throughout the world.  The
> situation is such that most of our users are older and their computer is a
> hand-me-down so they can talk to their grandchildren.  Passwords are a
> great inconvenience for them and create numerous problems with remembering
> them even when they are simple.  Unfortunately, most of them are quite easy
> to guess.

You might consider disabling external smtp auth service and using ssh
tunnel to server to connect to mail. Also provide web based convenience
service.

It might be interesting to encrypt mail to the user's cloud service that
operates in a gpg zone. I think this operation could be mostly transparent
to the user, so kids and granpamas can use it without concern.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA