How To Get App To Start At Boot?

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Tue Mar 19 21:33:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> I installed Splunk which is not part of the ports tree.  It's a proprietary
> app that I downloaded and installed on it's own.  I start it with
> '/usr/local/splunk/bin/splunk start'.  It should also be stopped with
> '/usr/local/splunk/bin/splunk stop'.  In an attempt to automate it, I
> created this symlink in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:

Not the way to do it at all. ;-)

(assuming /opt/splunk*/bin is in your path)

# splunk enable boot-start

This installs the script below as /etc/rc.d/splunk.  You then merely
need to put splunk_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

Questions like this are better answered by searching the splunk FAQs,
etc.  Lots of good info there.

#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: splunkd
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# KEYWORD: shutdown

# /etc/rc.d/splunk
# init script for Splunk.
# generated by 'splunk enable boot-start'.

. /etc/rc.subr

name=splunk
extra_commands="status"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
eval "${rcvar}=\${${rcvar}:-'NO'}"

splunk_start()
{
        "${splunk_home:-/opt/splunkforwarder}/bin/splunk" start
--no-prompt --answer-yes "$@"
}
start_cmd=splunk_start

splunk_stop()