how run snort in quiet and deamon mode

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Mar 17 18:46:26 UTC 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:15:53 +0330, s m wrote:
> hello guys
>
> i have a freebsd8.2 and wanna run snort on it. my snort version is
> 2.9.3.1. i want to run snort in deamon mode and quietly. man page says
> that "D" flag is for running snort in deamon mode and "q" flag is to
> run it quietly(do not show startup message). my problem is, these two
> flag can not work together. when i run "snort -q -D" or "snort -D -q",
> snort run in deamon mode but some startup messages are shown. when i
> run "snort -q" no message is shown.
>
> i know it is so simple issue but i do not know how to do that. any
> hints or comments are appreciated.

Maybe you can start the program as a (quite) background process?

	snort -q &

If you encounter issues related to "controlling terminal disconnect",
you can use the system's "daemon" command to basically do what -D
would do, or use the port "detach".

	daemon snort -q

See "man daemon" for options you might need to add.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany