configure recursively and build question

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Mar 15 18:06:14 UTC 2013

Istvan Gabor <suseuser04 at lajt.hu> writes:

> 2013. március 12. 21:17 napon Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> írta:
>>
>> Second, config-recursive only does the configuration of the port
>> options.
>
> Then I misunderstood the handbook, chich says:
>
> "To avoid this when there are many dependencies, first run make config-recursive
> to do the configuration in one batch."
>
> I understood this as the configuration is done on all the dependencies as well.

You understood the handbook correctly. My comment was poorly worded and
unnecessary (I was actually making the same point as in #4.

The word "options" can mean slightly different things. The port's
framework may define options, which the port will require you to choose
among before building its software. The program being built may
*additionally* require user input for building, and the port framework
(in particular, "make config") can't store those choices. This is
unusual, but some common ports do it (for example, ghostscript is one).

> The handbook also writes:
>
> "Tip: When using config-recursive, the list of ports to configure are gathered by the
> all-depends-list make(1) target. It is often recommended to run make config-recursive
> until all dependent ports options have been defined, and ports options dialog(1) screens
> no longer appear, to be certain all ports options have been configured as intended."
>
> Does this mean if I run config-recursive several times in a raw, all the dependencies will
> be configured?

This is a slightly different issue. Changing a port's options may change
its dependencies, so another round of config-recursive  might be needed
to config the new dependencies.