Re: configure recursively and build question

Istvan Gabor suseuser04 at lajt.hu
Thu Mar 14 20:37:17 UTC 2013

2013. március 12. 21:17 napon Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> írta:

Thank you for answering.

> Istvan Gabor <suseuser04 at lajt.hu> writes:
>
> > As there are no compiled FreeBSD 9.1 packages for pkg_tools I decided to build them.
> > Last I started to build kde3. First I issued make configure-recursive in
> > /usr/ports/x11/kde3, then make install clean, and left the computer for overnight to work.
> > I expected a successful build by the morning but instead I found a screen requiring some
> > config options (for apache). I selected the options and the build went on.
> > But later other config windows came up, so far for mysqlclient, sane-backends,
> > tk, tcl, libxine and sdl. So my question are:
> >
> > What is configure-recursive good for then? I thought it is for preventing interactions
> > during the build process. Ho can I really configure everything in one step and leave
> > the computer alone?
>
> First of all, I think you mean config-recursive.

Yes, I did.

> Second, config-recursive only does the configuration of the port
> options.

Then I misunderstood the handbook, chich says:

"To avoid this when there are many dependencies, first run make config-recursive
to do the configuration in one batch."

I understood this as the configuration is done on all the dependencies as well.

The handbook also writes:

"Tip: When using config-recursive, the list of ports to configure are gathered by the
all-depends-list make(1) target. It is often recommended to run make config-recursive
until all dependent ports options have been defined, and ports options dialog(1) screens
no longer appear, to be certain all ports options have been configured as intended."

Does this mean if I run config-recursive several times in a raw, all the dependencies will
be configured?

> Fourth (and, you'll be glad to hear, finally) some ports are interactive
> for reasons beyond options. See the manual for ports(7), noting the
> environment variables INTERACTIVE and BATCH.

I will look at this.

> > Second, after I've done a configure-recursive, how can I start it over from scratch in case
> > I want to change some config option? If I reissue make configure-recursive,
> > I get only no configuration needed messages.
>
> If you really want to start from scratch, you can use
> "rmconfig-recursive" on the dependent port.

Yes I meant only the given port and its dependencies, not the all ports.

Thank again,

Istvan