day light saving time happened today

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Sun Mar 10 21:50:31 UTC 2013

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:37, Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>> day light saving time happened early sunday morning and the time shown by the date command is still one hour behind. I just did a clean 9.1 install from cdrom and selected the correct time zone for my location.
>
> The DST change worked fine for me...!
>
> I'm curious what it prints if you run the command:
>
> find /usr/share/zoneinfo -type f -print | xargs md5 | grep `md5 -q /etc/localtime`
>
> It used to be that /etc/localtime was, by convention if
> nothing else, a symlink so you could easily see what it pointed
> to, but not anymore... the above is the easiest way I can think
> of to figure out what time zone your system is *really* set to.
>
> Yes, it should have happened automatically. There's no special
> setting you have to enable. It should have "just worked". So
> my suspicion is that your /etc/localtime isn't pointing to
> what you think it's pointing to...
>
> 	~Ben

This is what that find produced

# /root >find /usr/share/zoneinfo -type f -print | xargs md5 | grep `md5
-q /etc /localtime`
MD5 (/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York) =
e4ca381035a34b7a852184cc0dd89baa
MD5 (/usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules)       =
e4ca381035a34b7a852184cc0dd89baa

echo $TZ undefined variable