What is your favorite board for a micro system?

iamatt iamatt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 15:51:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Arthur Chance <freebsd at qeng-ho.org> wrote:
> On 03/08/13 23:53, Erik Nørgaard wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> What is your favorite mini/micro/nano/pico-itx platform for home projects?
>>
>> I currently run a home server on an Intel mini-itx board but was looking
>> around for something fun to play with with the following specs:
>>
>> - mini-itx or smaller, low profile
>> - fanless
>> - low power 12V external PSU
>> - 1 LAN, preferably 2
>> - 2 USB2/3
>> - Flash bootable, but with option for hdd boot
>> - GPIO would be fun
>> - hdmi out would be nice
>>
>> I have tried VIA boards but found they were flacky...
>>
>> Any suggestion regarding ARM vs Intel based?
>

> Depending exactly how small you want it, how about a Raspberry Pi Model B?
> Dirt cheap, 1 LAN, but you can add others via USB if you want (although it
> will never be high performance), 2 USB, HDMI output, GPIO, boot from SD
> card. Even runs FreeBSD (although still being developed).

Hello,

Been running Freebsd on an intel D525 as suggested by a mailing list
user over a year ago.

This box has been running great with the exception of 9.1 not
detecting the onboard ethernet.  Currently running jails on it,  http,
mail,  mincraft server for the kids, and some others.

FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012
    root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525   @ 1.80GHz (1800.10-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x106ca  Family = 6  Model = 1c  Stepping = 10
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x40e31d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,MOVBE>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics

I also have a raspberry pi B which I use to stream video and music
from a jail on my 525 but it is not freebsd.

OpenBSD-current on soekris 5501 has been running flawless for years too

Lastly I have a beagleboard system which I won that is not doing
anything but I do hear that netbsd guys can boot on it.  Haven't tried
atm.

There are options out there for sure.  The D525 was under 100 USD ,
not including case and some misc. parts.