How to connect to VPN

Любомир Григоров nm.knife at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 22:44:27 UTC 2013

I have been trying to find a way to connect to a PPTP or L2TP VPN for over
a year now. There is no GUI client that I know of and any text
configuration I try with pptpclient fails.

How can I connect to a VPN, the fast way as in Windows, OS X and GNU/Linux.
I have the following information (no internal IP's or ranges or NAT):

Gateway - I have the URL to connect to, I suppose I can map it to IP
Username
Password
MSCHAP
MSCHAPv2
Use point-to-point encryption (MPPE)
Allow BSD data compression
Allow deflate data compression
Use TCP header compression

How can I connect to the VPN with just this information above? Everything I
find requires internal IP's, ranges, NAT and other things making a 5 second
gui configuration take months. The VPN server supports PPTP and L2TP as
mentioned. Any advice on how I can connect will be helpful.

--
Lyubomir Grigorov (bgalakazam)