FreeBSD maximum password length

takCoder tak.official at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 14:20:17 UTC 2013

Thank you, Lowell, for your reply. :)
>> And i've heard that no-maximum-limits for passwords length is only
possible
>> when we keep them in encrypted form not as plain text, which i think is
>> matched with FreeBSD behavior.
>
>Is plain-text passwords even a supported behaviour? I didn't think it was.
>

> I meant i think FreeBSD does not use plain-text passwords, so we won't
have a limitation for that reason.. excuse me for my poor english.

>_PASSWORD_LEN is the defined limit. It's 128 characters by default but
>could be changed at compile time. There may be other limits, such as in
>various versions of NIS.
>I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, so I don't have any real
>advice, but I don't see why 128 characters would be that hard to deal
>with.

I need to moderate the input password in my system's user interface. And I
believe i have tested longer passwords than that, about 1000 characters
long, and there was no limitations, via using this command in a /bin/sh
test shell script : "echo PASSWORD | pw user mod USER -h 0".

at least there was no errors reported by *pw*. i did not test the user
myself.. and it somehow seems correct, as the encrypted output string may
be not a function of the input string, based on the method used.

Thank you :)