USB can't mount msdosfs drive

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Wed Jun 5 20:12:56 UTC 2013

> did you already try to access da2 instead of da2s1?

Yeah, tried that early on, got the same result.

root at warehouse:/backups/postgres-02/info # mount_msdosfs /dev/da2 /usb2
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da2: Invalid argument

> But just to be fully sure: This is a USB stick / thumb drive, right?

Yes. It's one of several thumb drives that were mounted in the back of some
linux machines at remote sites we help a customer with. The client is unsure
what was on them, but needs to know. We asked them to gather them up and
stick them into usb ports on a freebsd machine we have access to and manage
at their location (in another state). Most of them I got mounted as either
msdosfs, or ufs, or ntfs, or extfs2, and was able to get the data off them.
This thumb drive is one of two holdouts.