to gmirror or to ZFS

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jul 16 19:48:24 UTC 2013

Hi--

On Jul 16, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, "don't do that".  :-)
>
> When the server reboots because of a powerfailure at night, then it boots.
> Then it starts to rebuild the mirror on its own, and later the fsck kicks in.
>
> Not much i can do about it.
>
> Maybe i should have done it without the automatic attachment for a new device.

It's normally the case that getting a hot spare automatically attached should be
fine, but not if you also have the box go down entirely and need to fsck.

I'm more used to needing to explicitly physically swap out a failed mirror component,
in which case one can make sure the system is OK before the replacement drive goes in.

> [ ... ]
>>> Before people tell me to use an UPS, i used a UPS but the damn thing gave
>>> way itself.  Then after it came back from the warranty repair it gave way again.
>>
>> Grr.  That's when you want find another UPS vendor.
>
> Is apc not the right choice?
> I think i got a monday morning model.
> Some times things fail!

APC is decent for desktops, but I'm dubious about them when it comes to entire racks
or a DC.  I like Leviton's PDUs/MDUs and TVSS; for a medium-sized UPS (10-40 kVA)
Liebert and PowerWare (now Eaton) were good.  Liebert's PDUs are also pretty good.

Regards,
--
-Chuck

PS: I ran a small DC in NYC with a 20kVA PowerWare 9330 behind a Leviton 57000 TVSS;
the Cupertino locals have ~650kVA worth of Bloom boxes and a Cummins diesel genset
as a backup just for this building.