to gmirror or to ZFS

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 18:27:55 UTC 2013

Op dinsdag 16 juli 2013 schreef Charles Swiger (cswiger at mac.com) het
volgende:

> Hi--
>
> On Jul 16, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > I would us a zfs for the os.
> > I have a couple of servers that did not survive a power failure with
> > gmirror.
> > The problems i had was when the power failed one disk was in a rebuilding
> > state and then when the background fsck started or was busy for some time
> > it would crash the whole server.
>
> Well, "don't do that".  :-)

When the server reboots because of a powerfailure at night, then it boots.
Then it starts to rebuild the mirror on its own, and later the fsck kicks
in.

Not much i can do about it.

Maybe i should have done it without the automatic attachment for a new
device.

> Seriously, bring up the box on one disk, force a foreground fsck if needed
> to get the filesystem to known clean state, and then rebuild the mirror.
> Mixing the mirror rebuild with something like an fsck will just thrash the
> disks.
>
> [ ... ]
> > Before people tell me to use an UPS, i used a UPS but the damn thing gave
> > way itself.  Then after it came back from the warranty repair it gave
> way again.
>
> Grr.  That's when you want find another UPS vendor.

Is apc not the right choice?
I think i got a monday morning model.
Some times things fail!

Regards,