UEFI Secure Boot

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Mon Jul 8 23:28:29 UTC 2013

On Jul 8, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:

[snip]

> So the question:
> Why  or when will I need an secure UEFI boot???
>

>From what I've read of UEFI Secure boot, I've parceled out into these nuggets:

(correct any nuggets I got wrong)

1. UEFI Secure boot is actually UEFI + Secure boot. You can disable Secure boot and still have UEFI.

2. Windows 8 requires UEFI Secure boot to ... boot.

3. Any OS can work with UEFI Secure boot... you just have to sign your drivers (which puts a burden on development, testing, etc.)

4. FreeBSD today can work on a machine if you disable UEFI (implied disabling of Secure boot sub-feature)

5. FreeBSD could eventually support UEFI.

6. Don't know if we want to support secure-boot... but I think we should. It's really up to how the end-user wants FreeBSD to function. If they want FreeBSD to reject module-loads for custom-compiled modules, secure boot seems to be a way to go. But for me at least, I won't be enabling it (even if we support it). However, I know customers that might think it's a great idea (think financial institutions running FreeBSD on bare metal both as workstations and servers).

Now, I must admit, when the conversation of UEFI and Secure boot starts turning toward involving M$, I get confused.

To my understanding, it's a methodology to allow a customer to secure his/her box against root-kit. The OS does this by communicating with the UEFI framework the keys of modules to load. That's between the BIOS and the OS (whatever OS you may be running).
--
Devin

P.S. Again, correct me if I'm wrong on anything -- I'm still wrapping my head around this stuff too.