install on external hdd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jul 6 21:32:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 01:15:48 +0400, Nazar Kazakov wrote:
> In dmesg repeats the old conclusion that I wrote, but in dmesg
> I found information about five usbus and all except the last
> one (it has 2.0) written usb 1.0.

> I tried to connect the hdd to last, but failed.

Looks like a current issue. From WP:

	A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0,
	and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a
	maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port
	in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

If the disk needs more than 500 mA to spin up and start
properly, it won't work on a USB 2.0 port unless you
use the external power supply.

> Also about usbus written that they are 2-port hub (probably
> built into the motherboard). In the first four usbus is intel
> UHCI root HUB, at the last - intel EHCI root HUB

That kind of combination can often be found. My older home PC
also had this kind of configuration (Intel EHCI, VIA UHCI).

> "ls / dev / da *" finds nothing
> "camcontrol devlist" outputs only DVD RW

This shows that the disk isn't recognized by the OS, therefore
not usable in any disk-related operation.

> My hdd has an input for an external power supply, and it is
> already connected to a second usb port.

Also check the USB cable. Sometimes a "partially defective"
cable causes this kind of trouble.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany