X client without X server

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 13:17:37 UTC 2013

	From olivier2553 at gmail.com Wed Jul  3 13:09:25 2013

	Anton,

	On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bris.ac.uk> wrote:
	>         Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:55:48 +0700 (ICT)
	>         From: Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th>
	>         To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
	>         Subject: X client without X server
	>
	>         Hi,
	>
	>         Is there a way to install an X client without automatically install an
	>         X server?
	>
	>         On all my systems, I throw xterm and emacs, as the primary tools I use
	>         for management, but the display is always remote, I never, ever, run X
	>         on the machine, but still it install X server, fonts and a lot of
	>         useless junk like xcalc.
	>
	>         Is there a way to install xterm and only the libraries that are needed
	>         to run xterm?
	>
	>         TIA,
	>
	>         Olivier
	>
	> I've been doing this for years.
	> What's the problem?
	>
	> Just install xterm, or whatever you need.
	> All the necessary libs will be pulled in, e.g.:
	>
	> $ pkg info -xd xterm
	> xterm-293:
	>         xproto-7.0.24
	>         xextproto-7.2.1
	>         renderproto-0.11.1
	>         printproto-1.0.5
	>         libxcb-1.9.1
	>         libXrender-0.9.8
	>         libXpm-3.5.10
	>         libXp-1.0.2,1
	>         libXext-1.3.2,1
	>         libXdmcp-1.1.1
	>         libXau-1.0.8
	>         libX11-1.6.0,1
	>         libSM-1.2.1,1
	>         libICE-1.0.8,1
	>         kbproto-1.0.6
	>         libXt-1.1.4,1
	>         libXmu-1.1.1,1
	>         libXaw-1.0.11,2
	>         libXft-2.3.1
	>         fontconfig-2.9.0,1
	>         expat-2.0.1_2
	>         freetype2-2.4.12_1
	>         pkgconf-0.9.2_1
	>         pcre-8.33
	>         libpthread-stubs-0.3_3
	>
	> Obviously xterm does not depend on xorg-server.

	But for some reason, xorg-server gets installed too. And tons of fonts, and ...

	It could be emacs, or cvsup, these are the 3 X Window clients I install.

I don't use emacs, but you can quickly check,
prior to installing, what other ports will be
required, e.g. do

make -C /usr/ports/ search name=emacs-24

You might be familiar with this already, but
if not, the B-deps are those ports which
are required to build your port, and R-deps
are required to run your port. For emacs-24,
both the default and the devel branches, you
see that they depend on xorg-fonts-truetype-7.7_1
and lots of other libs, but not on xorg-server.
net/cvsup has a lot fewer dependencies, again
no xorg-server.

In general X server is only required by the ports
running on the graphical side - screen, mouse, kbd, etc.,
e.g.:

$ pkg info -xr xorg-server
xorg-server-1.7.7_8,1:
        xf86-input-keyboard-1.7.0
        xf86-input-mouse-1.9.0
        xf86-video-vesa-2.3.2
        nvidia-driver-310.44_1
$

So I'd say something is wrong with your installation
if xorg-server is being pulled in when you build
emacs, xterm or cvsup.

Post the output from "pkg info -aq".
Maybe this will give us a hint.

Anton