sleepycat db VS MySQL or postgres

Jim Pazarena fquest at paz.bz
Mon Jul 1 20:51:41 UTC 2013

I have a rather extensive series of databases created and in use all
with the very old sleepycat db3. I believe in the addage "don't fix
what ain't broken", but in the case of db3, it IS broken and my db
files get corrupted on occasion.

I could move to db5 or db6 OR MySQL, or even postgres.

I use simple primary key files, most entries are added from a CLI
or termcap/curses screen. Some programatically. With about the same
number of sequential dumps vs indexed random reads.

I have no experience with the c interface for postgres or mysql, but
also, do not know how much the c interface has changed for sleepycat
5/6 compared to the c interface for db3, which I understand quite well.
So I am prepared for a learning curve irrespective of which platform
I select. Records do not exceed much more than 10-20,000, with key sizes
not much wider than 16 bytes (ipv4), 13 (mac), 32 (ipv6). And various
smaller key sizes.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Jim Pazarena         fquest at paz.bz