Software raid VS hardware raid

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 30 16:15:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Artem Kuchin wrote:

> Also, not being able to boot if first disk has some error in boot
> section or just strangly dead is not an option too. However, i was
> just thinking, if i use gmirror then bios does not know anything about
> it. I may set both harddisk as boot disk, but if first disk is brain
> damaged then bios may just stuck trying to boot from it and will not
> pass boot attempt to the second disk. I don't know, it depends on bios
> of course. But this seems to be a disadvantage to a software raid.

That's true.  The similar situation with hardware RAID is when the
controller fails.  The metadata is probably specific to that
manufacturer and maybe to that model of controller.  It's a good idea to
get spares, because as Murphy is my witness, in an emergency that
controller will not be available in the same town, district, country, or
continent.  More likely it will have been long discontinued, with no
data migration path.