Software raid VS hardware raid

Artem Kuchin matrix at itlegion.ru
Wed Jan 30 15:34:56 UTC 2013

30.01.2013 19:28, Paul Kraus:
> On Jan 30, 2013, at 10:22 AM, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> If you want to use the same drive for booting, it's possible.  Create all three partitions on both drives manually.  Then mirror the freebsd-ufs partition only.  The contents of the freebsd-boot partition don't change often, and swap does not have to be mirrored.
> 	Note that if you do NOT mirror SWAP, then in the event of a disk failure you will most likely crash when the system tries to swap in some data from the failed drive. If you mirror swap then you do not risk a crash due to missing swap data.

yes, that's what i wanted to say.
Also, not being able to boot if first disk has some error in boot
section or just strangly dead is not an option too. However, i was just
thinking,
if i use gmirror then bios does not know anything about it. I may set
both harddisk as boot disk, but if first disk is brain damaged then bios
may just stuck
trying to boot from it and will not pass boot attempt to the second
disk. I don't know, it depends on bios of course. But this seems to be a
disadvantage to
a software raid.

Artem