how do I restart lagg0 properly?

markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Mon Jan 28 23:08:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've tried to setup link aggregation to allow networking through WLAN
and ethernet on my laptop, see:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-January/248605.html

(this thread contains my network setup information)

The lack of replies may indicate that it is not possible to set up
lagg in a way which allows to setup networking either via WLAN or via
ethernet, whichever is accessible during boot. In any case I figured
that I should be able to bring down networking completely and restart
it completely after I plugged in a LAN cable to work around this
limitation. I tried things like:

service netif restart lagg0

I understand that both routing and DHCP will be affected by
temporarily bringing down the network, so I added commands like these
in various orders:

service routing restart

service dhclient restart

All in all, to no avail. I can't even ping my DSL router after
fiddling with lagg0 after boot.

What is the correct incantation of commands to cleanly shut down and
restart my networking?

thanks,
Markus

--