How to see all labels?

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Fri Jan 25 04:51:41 UTC 2013

Carl Johnson <carlj at peak.org> writes:

> I recently installed 9.1 on a system and labels don't seem to work as
> I would expect.  I can get them to work in /etc/fstab, but only the
> ones referenced there show up in /dev/ufs and /dev/gpt.  I have seen
> this in previous versions, and in those cases they sometimes work.  In
> at least one previous case one ufs label (of several) would never work
> even in fstab.  The following shows my current configuration:
>
>   $ uname -a
>   FreeBSD bonsai.localnet 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825:
>   Tue Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012
>   root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>   $ gpart backup ada0
>   GPT 128
>   1   freebsd-boot       64      128
>   2    freebsd-ufs      192 35651584 Bonsai
>   3   freebsd-swap 35651776  4224671 BonsaiSwap
>   $ glabel status
>                                         Name  Status  Components
>   gptid/150b03ac-5767-11e2-a154-001485411fc8     N/A  ada0p1
>                                   ufs/Bonsai     N/A  ada0p2
>                               gpt/BonsaiSwap     N/A  ada0p3
>   $ ls -l /dev/ufs
>   total 0
>   crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 109 2013-01-08 09:42 Bonsai
>   $ ls -l /dev/gpt
>   total 0
>   crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 112 2013-01-08 09:42 BonsaiSwap
>   $ cat /etc/fstab
>   # Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
>   #/dev/ada0p2    /               ufs     rw      1       1
>   #/dev/ada0p3    none            swap    sw      0       0
>   /dev/ufs/Bonsai         /               ufs     rw      1       1
>   /dev/gpt/BonsaiSwap     none            swap    sw      0       0
>
> In this case I have two GPT labels defined, but only the one used in
> fstab (BonsaiSwap) is shown in /dev/gpt and by glabel.  When I used
> the original fstab without labels, there were no /dev/gpt or /dev/ufs
> directories, and glabel didn't show any of them.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas about how to get the system to recognize
> all labels?  A command after boot would be acceptable since I could
> just put it in /etc/rc.local.

I just discoved the sysctl 'kern.geom.label.debug=2' and did some
further testing.  It appears that the system removes what it considers
redundant labels.  For the Bonsai label it has labels for ufs, ufsid,
gpt, and gptid;  so it removes the ufsid, gpt, and gptid labels after I
use the ufs label.  The swap partition has gpt and gptid labels, and it
removes the gptid label after I use the gpt label.  I don't really agree
with it, but I feel better about it now that I think I understand what
it is doing.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org