How to see all labels?

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Thu Jan 10 23:13:36 UTC 2013

I recently installed 9.1 on a system and labels don't seem to work as
I would expect.  I can get them to work in /etc/fstab, but only the
ones referenced there show up in /dev/ufs and /dev/gpt.  I have seen
this in previous versions, and in those cases they sometimes work.  In
at least one previous case one ufs label (of several) would never work
even in fstab.  The following shows my current configuration:

  $ uname -a
  FreeBSD bonsai.localnet 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825:
  Tue Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012
  root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
  $ gpart backup ada0
  GPT 128
  1   freebsd-boot       64      128
  2    freebsd-ufs      192 35651584 Bonsai
  3   freebsd-swap 35651776  4224671 BonsaiSwap
  $ glabel status
                                        Name  Status  Components
  gptid/150b03ac-5767-11e2-a154-001485411fc8     N/A  ada0p1
                                  ufs/Bonsai     N/A  ada0p2
                              gpt/BonsaiSwap     N/A  ada0p3
  $ ls -l /dev/ufs
  total 0
  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 109 2013-01-08 09:42 Bonsai
  $ ls -l /dev/gpt
  total 0
  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 112 2013-01-08 09:42 BonsaiSwap
  $ cat /etc/fstab
  # Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
  #/dev/ada0p2    /               ufs     rw      1       1
  #/dev/ada0p3    none            swap    sw      0       0
  /dev/ufs/Bonsai         /               ufs     rw      1       1
  /dev/gpt/BonsaiSwap     none            swap    sw      0       0

In this case I have two GPT labels defined, but only the one used in
fstab (BonsaiSwap) is shown in /dev/gpt and by glabel.  When I used
the original fstab without labels, there were no /dev/gpt or /dev/ufs
directories, and glabel didn't show any of them.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to get the system to recognize
all labels?  A command after boot would be acceptable since I could
just put it in /etc/rc.local.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org