Editors are broken after update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 21 09:08:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:51:13 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 03:53:56 +0100, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > /usr/home/rocketmouse, _not_ user/home/rocketmouse
>
> It wasn't possible to copy the message, so I've written it. It's very
> likely that I made a typo. I'm a dyslexic and since there's no big
> difference between /usr and /user and it both is for "user" it's very
> likely that I haven't notice it all the times when I read it. If I would
> have written /usgr or something similar it could happen that I don't
> notice it when reading it 2 or 3 times, but when reading it for the 4th
> time I will notice it. It oven happens that people type 'unmount' instead
> of 'umount', so I've seen Linux distros that ship with an alias 'unmount'
> :D.

Seen in this context, the message was probably beginning
with "/usr" instead of "user" which makes sense (even though
it would be considered a bug when the editor is invoked
without a file name and it instead tries to open "something"
that is not a file to edit). It also fits the tradition that
"usr" is often pronounced "user" and therefor carries that
"mental image".

> OT:
>
> # grep alias .cshrc
> alias h		history 25
> alias j		jobs -l
> alias la	ls -aF
> alias lf	ls -FA
> alias ll	ls -lAF
>
> I avoid using aliases. FWIW on Linux mailing lists that aren't for a
> specific distro, it's unwanted to use aliases when posting to the list.

That's a valid advice, especially when the alias name suggests
that it does something it doesn't do in reality. However, a
common alias "ll" for "list long" is widely accepted, even though
the implementation (and additional flags and preferences) may
differ from system to system.

alias	ls		'ls -FG -D "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"'
alias	ll		'ls -laFG -D "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"'
setenv	LSCOLORS	ExGxdxdxCxDxDxBxBxegeg

;-)

--
Polytropon