What is the timeout of TCP in freeBSD?

Karthik Reddy 22karthikreddy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 14:51:19 UTC 2013

I was doing a experiment on FreeBSD for testing TCP timeout and RTO. OS is
being run from two different VMware versions 4.0 and 5.0.

Present Scenario: VMware Player 4.0
I'll start a telnet session to a non-existing system in the network. When I
look at the tcpdump the RTO starts at every 3 seconds and after some
exponential backoff starts. In this scenario after 75 seconds the TCP gives
up and tells me that there is no system existing with the IP and telnet
session terminates.

Next Scenario: VMware Player 5.0
In this scenario, I did the same but the RTO starts at 5 sec and then
varies. In this scenario, it takes more than 120 seconds for telnet session
to tell me that there is no system is available in the network.

I have seen sysctl in both VM's. net.inet.tcp.keepinit = 75000

Is this problem something related to timing of the VM's or any other issue?

--
Karthik Reddy
I'm not the best, but I'm not like the Rest