FreeBSD 8.2 with pre-built KDE 3.5 package from FreeBSD 7.1 DVD

Georg Reilinger georgreilinger at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 18 01:25:06 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

My issue is the following:

As far as I know, FreeBSD has completely dropped support for KDE 3.5.

Whether it's the ports, or the pkg_add precompiled binaries. Am I right in

assuming this?

I am currently running a live version of FreeBSD 8.2 with KDE 4.8. The thing

here is, that KDE 4 is simply too heavy for my system. For example: it is

impossible for me to have two open shells at the same time. Once I exit a

given shell, I can't open another one due to a lack of resources, even after having

turned off all the extra stuff - plasma desktop, nepomuk...

As a consequence, I can see myself do two possible things, to have a system

running with KDE 3.5 once again:

precompiled binaries that are on the DVD donwload version.
Judging by the release announcements, this should be 7.1.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html

This is something that I don't really feel like doing.

2. To be honest, I am quite happy with 8.2 and I would like to keep it for
some time to come. In other words, is there a way to keep 8.2 and still
have KDE 3.5 along with it? For example has anyone ever tried to
install a 7.1 pre-built package (KDE 3.5 in this case) on an 8.2 system?
Is that be possible?

Any other solutions?

Many thanks
Georg