databases/postgresql: simple mirroring of a database or a whole server

Amitabh Kant amitabhkant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 12:14:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM, O. Hartmann <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>wrote:

> Hello list.
>
> First, please set me CC, i do not subscribe this list.
>
> I'd like to ask for a mirroring solution of an important databse on my
> installations across at least three boxes. The setup is as follows.
>
> Operating system is FreeBSD 10.0/amd and 9.1-STABLE/amd64. A top of the
> OS there is on all machines in question port
> databases/postgresql92-server|client running.
>
> I have a database that needs to be synchronized/mirrored. A data
> consistency in a narrow timeframe isn't necessary. The database in
> question is a very important literature reference db which is maintained
> via a web interface and this is done mostly from a private box at home,
> which changes the local database set. This database is also used at the
> lab. Usually, I have to dump the db, send it via ssh/scp over the net to
> the target machine and restore it - and this at least three times. Since
> network connectivity isn't available for some technical reasons when I
> maintain the local db at home, this task is a pain, if I forget to
> dump/restore the database. The task maintaining the databases like that
> isn't appreciable.
>
> So, I looked out for a mirroring solution. I came across SLONY I/II, but
> I feel not very comfortable with the complicated setup. Although having
> had a howto, it dind't work properly. So I'm looking for something more
> simple.
>
> The data consistency within short timeframes isn't so important, so a
> mission critical mirroring isn't necessary. But I would be feel better
> having something more "automatic" that is synchronizing more than two or
> three machines automatically when network connectivity is available.
>
> Is there a solution - easy task - to handle such a scenario?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Oliver

Since you are using postgresql 9.2, why don't you use the inbuilt
replication that comes with it. You might be interested in this page
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/high-availability.html .

In case you face any difficulties, u can always head over to pgsql mailing
list. (pgsql-general at postgresql.org)

Amitabh