databases/postgresql: simple mirroring of a database or a whole server

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 15 10:54:12 UTC 2013

Hello list.

First, please set me CC, i do not subscribe this list.

I'd like to ask for a mirroring solution of an important databse on my
installations across at least three boxes. The setup is as follows.

Operating system is FreeBSD 10.0/amd and 9.1-STABLE/amd64. A top of the
OS there is on all machines in question port
databases/postgresql92-server|client running.

I have a database that needs to be synchronized/mirrored. A data
consistency in a narrow timeframe isn't necessary. The database in
question is a very important literature reference db which is maintained
via a web interface and this is done mostly from a private box at home,
which changes the local database set. This database is also used at the
lab. Usually, I have to dump the db, send it via ssh/scp over the net to
the target machine and restore it - and this at least three times. Since
network connectivity isn't available for some technical reasons when I
maintain the local db at home, this task is a pain, if I forget to
dump/restore the database. The task maintaining the databases like that
isn't appreciable.

So, I looked out for a mirroring solution. I came across SLONY I/II, but
I feel not very comfortable with the complicated setup. Although having
had a howto, it dind't work properly. So I'm looking for something more
simple.

The data consistency within short timeframes isn't so important, so a
mission critical mirroring isn't necessary. But I would be feel better
having something more "automatic" that is synchronizing more than two or
three machines automatically when network connectivity is available.

Is there a solution - easy task - to handle such a scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver