Gamin/IMAP issue

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Thu Jan 10 15:17:44 UTC 2013

Since upgrading to 9.1 I've been getting errors retrieving my email via
IMAP.  They don't appear to actually prevent anything, but they are
annoying at least.  (And while I haven't noticed anything else that is
having the same errors that doesn't mean it's not happening...)

The errors I'm getting are:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-daniel/fam-
Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (daniel)
Error: Input/output error
Check for proper operation and configuration
of the File Access Monitor daemon (famd).

('daniel' of course being the name of my user.)  I'm using courier-IMAP and
gamin.  The only thing I can find online on this is someone else on the
freebsd forums who had the same problem ~8 years ago, who eventually gave
up and switched to fam.  (Well, other than the ones that say 'install
fam/gamin', which I have installed, but doesn't appear to be working.)  I
have rebuilt and reinstalled both courier-IMAP and gamin.  (I actually did
a 'rebuild all dependencies' for gamin.)  Permissions on the /tmp and
/tmp/fam-daniel directories are as I'd expect.  I've also increased
kern.maxfiles to 100000, to make sure it can handle my large maildir
directories.  (Though this wasn't a problem before I upgraded.)

Anyone have any other ideas on where I can start troubleshooting?  (And
yes, I'm considering upgrading to Dovecot, but I want to know everything is
working first.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.