freebsd-update patches custom /boot/kernel/kernel which it should not

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 2 21:02:24 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 20:55, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I wasn't thinking when I wrote this.  Freebsd-update pulls *binary*
> copies of files, so you're not ever going to get the src files to
> rebuild your kernel from freebsd-update.  You need to pull those in
> using svn.

Not so.  Take a look at /etc/freebsd-update.conf -- if you have 'src'
listed as one of the Components, freebsd-update will keep your /usr/src
up to date.

Primarily this is intendend for people that want to do binary updates of
userland, but compile their own kernels for particular device support or
whatever reason.  However there's no reason why you couldn't just use
freebsd-update just to grab system sources, and them update by building
and installing world.

If you want to track a release brance, and you don't intend to do any
development work on the sources, then freebsd-update is going to be a
lot more efficient for you than SVN.  Outside that particular audience,
however, svn rules.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--