Newbie question about freebsd-update: single user mode is not needed anymore?

ASV asv at inhio.eu
Wed Jan 2 18:15:18 UTC 2013

Well,
I understand your concern. I've been using the freebsd-update method
since several years now and mostly remotely. I've never encounter a
problem. I haven't recompiled everything many times as I didn't really
found a tangible advantage in this method but I've never thought about
this. I believe some developer around here can provide you a neat
explanation about that (which is going to be interesting to know).

Strictly about your concern I believe whatever way you use for your
upgrade you CANNOT be 100% sure that your upgrade will go smoothly and
things like loosing control of your remote box will not happen. Even
though jumping from close releases 9.0 => 9.1 is a low risk upgrade, a
console access to your remote server (via terminal server/KVM/other) is
imperative in these cases to avoid the worst.