Fat Fingered An 'rm -rf' of Important Files

Ben Cottrell tamino at wolfhut.org
Thu Feb 28 07:17:18 UTC 2013

On Feb 27, 2013, at 19:08, "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we can skip the finger wagging on that part I'd appreciate it.

No finger-wagging from this quarter at least!

Something I've sometimes done to retrieve text content is to run a
"strings" on the disk device (the thing in /dev). You obviously want
to redirect the "strings" output to someplace that's *not* on the same
filesystem, or it'll be overwriting what you're trying to recover!

It's usually possible, through searching for key words and phrases,
to get back any text content that you know was there.

Sorry! And... good luck!!

	~Ben