SPAM: Re: ZFS root, error 2 when mounting root

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Mon Feb 25 17:04:00 UTC 2013

On 02/25/2013 10:00 am, bw wrote:

>>> That was my understanding, too, but the instructions on the wiki say
>>> there's no need to copy the cache file. In fact, there is no cache
>>> file to copy, since the pool is created with
>>>
>>> zpool create -o altroot=/mnt -O canmount=off zroot mirror
>>> /dev/gpt/g0zfs /dev/gpt/g1zfs
>>>
>>> No cache file. The wiki article was changed recently to eliminate
>>> that part, the message on the wiki is: "Fix so that the default
>>> instructions does not install data directly to the zroot pool.
>>> Simplify instructions regarding cache files, they are no longer
>>> needed. Fixes and cleanups."
>>>
>>> Either the instructions are wrong, or something in my script is. I
>>> assume it's my script.
>>
>> 	The instructions noted above are now INCORRECT for 9.0 (I have not
>> tried this with 9.1 yet) as you MUST manually put the zpool.cache file
>> in place for it to work correctly (I tried a couple different
>> variations when I first setup my systems a few months ago and learned
>> this the hard way :-) I have *lost* of experience with ZFS under
>> Solaris 10 but am relatively new (about a year) to FreeBSD.
>
> I tried it on 9.1, failed to specify.

There is a change coming down through the stable or current channel,
that doesn't require the zpool.cache file.  But I don't believe that it
has made it's to any of the releases.  I haven't been able to track down
the original message yet, but here is some of the relevant text from a
reply on the freebsd-stable mailing list, the subject of the thread is
"[HEADSUP] zfs root pool mounting", if you chose to search for it on
your own.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer