ZFS root, error 2 when mounting root

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Mon Feb 25 14:13:40 UTC 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 4:42 AM, bw.mail.lists <bw.mail.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically, I tried to follow https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE, but ended up with a system that didn't know how to mount /.
>
> There are two scripts attached.

I did not see any attachments.

<snip>

> The main difference I see between those two scripts is that one doesn't use a cache file and the other one does, hence the name of the scripts. But it should work without cachefile too, shouldn't it? The other difference is how mountpoints are set, but I can't figure out what could be wrong there.

	I am guessing without seeing the scripts, but I assume the cache you refer to is the /boot/zfs/zpool.cahce file. This file instructs the kernel which zpools to import at boot time. If this file is missing or damaged the kernel cannot import any zpools. So you MUST have a valid zpool.cache file in order to import the zpool containing the "/" zfs dataset

--
Paul Kraus
Deputy Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3