IT security and pentesting tools on FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Dec 29 14:13:46 UTC 2013

To expand my "daily work", I'd like to explore which tools
exist on FreeBSD for pentesting and "overall IT security
diagnostics". The following questions are primarily directed
to those participants of the mailing list who do similar
work and/or research and like to share their suggestions.

Having primarily used Linux for this specific purpose, I'd
like to try to find comparable (or maybe the same) tools
on the base of FreeBSD which I prefer as a system for work.
What tools in the ports collections can be used, which offer
the same functionality? My goal is to migrate as much of
the "pentesting toolset" to FreeBSD as possible.

I'm already using FreeBSD tools like nmap, tcpdump, iftop or
Wireshark, but I bet there are more that I should have
a look at. I'm especially interested in tools to scan for
WLAN traffic and to demonstrate weak encryption to customers
(e. g. for those who insist that WEP is "ultimately secure"
or that "a hidden SSID makes them unhackable"). Diagnostics
should cover as many layers as possible, it doesn't even
matter if this versatility is distributed across a set of
different programs, that's okay.

Those are fields where no special hardware compatibility
is required. I'm aware that especially cellphone communications
using a smartphone, connected to USB, may be more tricky on
FreeBSD than on Linux where it doesn't seem to be a problem
to make a "GSM scanner". SDR is probably a similarly compli-
cated topic when FreeBSD is involved... but in regards of
hardware I want to use, I've already learned the lessen to
first check, _then_ buy. :-)

A side question, if I may ask: I'm typically using a second
LAN or WLAN adapter for on-site diagnostics for customers.
To make it easier to check _their_ logs for my "actions",
I'd like to give it an "obvious" MAC address, something like
EE:EE:EE:EE:EE:EE (which is quite easy to spot in log files).
Is this possible (and trivial) for LAN and WLAN interfaces
on a FreeBSD host?

For those hesitating to reply: I'm still one of the good guys.
You may reply off-list in case the questions list is not the
right place to expose that kind of knowledge. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany