connecting servers on lan to internet

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 02:37:46 UTC 2013

On 16/12/2013 23:12, Al Plant wrote:
> I need to connect 1 mail server, 1 web server to the internet. All
> running FreeBSD.
>
> Currently all servers are on ADM circuit with different IPS.( Like one
> other recent post the cable speed rate has been lowered to where the
> servers  don't up load any more.)  Luckly we will have Fiber Optic
> cable coming to our lane this March. I want to put the servers behind
> the router a (FreeBSD) PF firewall on the single telco line with its
> own IP to make sure the DNS etc works from there before the telco
> Fiber optic cable gets here.
>
> If I NAT the two servers to the lan and direct the DNS to the single
> line IP will that work?

Hi AL,

What you're trying to do is certainly possible. Taking a guess as to
what your setup might be, you'll need need a natd.conf (or whatever you
decide to call it) that looks something like this:

-----------------------------------
interface rl0

redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.200:25    25
redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.201:80    80
redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.201:443  443

The first line is the interface name (realtek in this case). The mail
server is on 192.168.1.200 and the web server is on 201. Pretty simple.
I assume you've got natd (and dhcpd) working anyway, so you've done the
hard bit. I guess you just need confirmation that it will definitely do
what you want.

Regards, Frank.